Full featured 401(k) plan to meet your needs
The ShareBuilder 401k Customized 401(k) is a flexible 401(k) that allows you to build a retirement
plan that specifically meets the business needs of your company. With the Customized 401(k),
you can design a simple plan that only allows employee contributions or you may
choose to build a plan that matches employee contributions and/or allows employees
to share in profits.
A full-service retirement plan that can be customized for small businesses
- Provide a retirement benefit to your employees while saving money with an
affordable 401(k) plan
- Focus on running your business with our convenient, low maintenance plan
- Get started quickly with fast online plan setup
- Receive a deduction from taxable
business profits for contributions
- Become eligible for a tax credit of 50% ($1,000 maximum) of the administrative
costs in the first three years of the new plan (for businesses with fewer than 100
- Determine the
funding you want
- Contribute at the maximum rate while retaining the flexibility to contribute
at a lower rate in other years
- Customize a plan to suit your business with our flexible plan design
- Automatic price discounts as your plan grows
For Plan Sponsor:
- Accommodates any size organization with one to 1,000 employees
- Startup and takeover plans for the following plan types:
- Daily Valuation with
real-time access to information
- Administrative Manual and Forms Kit
- Non-standardized Prototype Plan Document
and Adoption Agreement
- Summary Plan Description
(SPD) and Loan Policy
- Sample Board of Directors
- Government tax reporting – including 1099R and signature-ready Form 5500
- Complete compliance testing and tracking
- Web based contribution processing and ACH payment of deposits
- Accommodates integration with social security
- Access to purchase a required
- Full-service, online access to administer and monitor plan
- Toll-free access to customer service support
- Retirement investing with a diverse list of index funds across multiple
- Model portfolio selections
designed for different investing goals
- Full-service, online access to check balances and manage account
- Online enrollment
- Online statements
- Annual statement mailed to the employee's home
- Access to tax-free loans
- Allows for account consolidation and rollovers
- Toll-free access to customer service support
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Is this the right plan for my organization?
A. The Customized 401(k) is for most companies. You are an ideal candidate if:
- You have one to 1,000 employees
- You want the flexibility of designing a plan that meets your specific needs
- You want investment flexibility
- Q. What are the available investment options?
A. The plan has 20 diverse index funds, across
multiple asset classes and 5 model portfolios.
A Money Market fund is also available for investing.
- Q. What type of enrollment materials are needed?
A. Enrollment is handled
online. No hard copy information is necessary.
- Q: Are any tax credits available to offset 401(k) plan fees?
A: Yes. In many cases, you may be eligible to receive a tax credit for 50% of your
setup and annual administration fees or $500 (whichever is less). This credit can
be taken each year for the first three years of the 401(k) plan. This credit may
be taken in addition to any tax deductions you may be eligible to take for plan
To take this credit, you must employ at least one person who is not considered to
be a highly-compensated employee (defined as a person who owns greater than 5% of
the company or who earns more than $100,000 per year). In addition, you must employ
fewer than 100 persons who earned more than $5,000 in the previous year. For additional
details about this credit or to confirm that you are eligible, please consult your
accountant or tax adviser.
- Q. When does the Customized 401(k) have to be established?
A. Generally, the plan has to be established before the following:
- For the 401(k) feature, the plan must be established before the plan year end date
- For the
profit sharing feature,
the plan must be established before the end of the plan year
- For the safe harbor feature, the
plan must be established at least 3 months before the end of the plan year
In order to comply with the
plan establishment dates,
the plan must be set up before the dates specified above. Plan setup
date requirements are contingent on the plan type being adopted and whether or not
it is an existing or startup plan. Specific deadlines are set prior to the end of
This information does not constitute tax advice. Please consult your tax adviser
for specific tax information.
See how your 401(k) compares
Employee fees can take a big bite out of your and your employees' retirement savings.
Many small and mid-size companies pay 1.5% or more in employee expenses. Find out
how your plan stacks up with our free, no obligation Cost Comparison.