Owners and employees can enjoy some pretty cool and powerful tax benefits with a 401(k). In fact, an owner maximizing 401(k) contributions may enjoy greater tax and saving benefits versus not offering a 401(k) plan at all. Check out our web page for an example and greater detail on all the items below.
Drum roll please – here are the top 5 reasons to start a 401(k) plan for your business:
- Enjoy up to $19,500 in personal tax savings this year by starting a plan and contributing up to this limit. Note that if you are at least 50 years of age, you can put away up and protect up to $26,000 with catch up contributions.
- Lower your tax bracket! This is even more likely to be true for Solo 401(k)s. Yes, even the self-employed can start a 401(k) plan. As a Solo 401(k) user, you are both the employee and employer so you can provide both type of contributions up to the limit of $57,000 in 2020. Yes, if your income level enables this, you may very well drop a tax bracket. See the example here that shows how a Solo 401k user can lower taxes by $10,000 this year (scroll a section down on the page).
- Take advantage of Roth 401(k) Feature no matter your income. Unlike a Roth IRA, no matter your income level, you can contribute to the Roth 401(k) feature in your 401(k) plan up to the 2020 limit of $19,500. Could be a smart way to avoid or lower paying taxes in retirement.
- Receive up to $16,500 in tax credits to start your first plan. If you have 1-100 employees, your company can qualify for tax credits that will help cut your business costs in half of offering a plan. With low-cost providers like ShareBuilder 401k, your costs will likely be pretty darn small.
- If you provide an employer match, it is often 100% tax deductible! That’s right – for the skinny on how this works, just read this blog on the subject.
For more information on any of the top five tax reasons to start a 401(k), just click to our page that gives more specifics. Wishing you great success.